Return to VNFAWING.com Website Return to Main Forum Index PageReturn to VNFAWING.com Website
:: Forum Index :: Zephyrnet Forums :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Groups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
In Memory - Firefoxx_VF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Post subject: In Memory - Firefoxx_VF Reply with quote
The Co-Founder of VF - Firefoxx_VF died in a car accident on October 11th, 2006. It has been a number of years since Firefoxx played FA, not unlike many in the FA community. I knew the man for almost 10 years, his name was Mark Mickel. Mark & I created VF back in I think 1998, 1999.

Mark was one that people were drawn too, he wasn't the best at flying, but he sure tried to be as best as he could. he was often the type of pilot that got shot to hell, and still somehow managed to finish the mission. He constantly tried to create challenges for the guys in our squad.

Beyond FA, Mark was a man who had a rough past few years, but being the type of person he was he buckled down and went to school instead. He graduated with a BS in Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology, Making Deans List quarter after quarter after quarter while in School. During the years he was in school he lived off of student loans, and often sold possessions he had to make ends meet. He Graduated in May of 2006. In his words back then .

Quote:

Hard to believ old foxxy was takin that final walk and wearin honor cords to boot

Over the 10 years we knew each other, Mark & I never got to meet face to face. We almost did when I moved from New Hampshire to Texas, but his van broke down and we just couldn't get together. He later told me he was going to meet me in a flight suit and a pilots helmet he found someplace.

Funny, you meet someone online by chance. And years go on you find out how much alike you are. VF had many members come and go, there were just a few of us that remained friends. Mark and I remained good friends throughout the years. Over the years Mark & I happened to almost always be in the same points of life - we were a lot alike. He had interviewed in Maryland and looked like he was going to get a job there - which was great as that's where I'll be moving when I move.

The last time I talked to him, we talked about flying, computers, women. Joked how we'd have many "beer-nut" jokes in person.

Last Saturday I got a call from his mother, Mark on October 11th, had gotten the job - starting entry at 52K a year. He went back to the college to thank his professors and was on his way back. The newspaper report said he was at an intersection waiting to pull out into traffic. but he was a little too far out into it. An oncoming car could not miss him. Mark died instantly of massive head & chest trauma.

Had Mark not mentioned me over the years to his parents, I never would have known. His mom said it was always a dream of his to shake my hand. His sister tracked me down by the clues Mark left and that lead to his mom calling. I was touched beyond words that our friendship meant that much to him, touched that despite how horrible it was for her, his mom called knowing he would want me to know.

I mailed off a letter today telling his parents how much of a difference their son made in my life, and the life's of others he came in contact with. Tough letter to write. I will be seeing his parents when I do move.

Like a friend said when I told him what happened, that sometimes we thread the needle, taking chances just to get home a little faster. I think in Mark's case he was probably so excited that he got just a little careless. So everyone - drive with care. Mark was 43, but his life was just starting.

And write down someplace how to get ahold of the people that mean something to you, including those online.

PostSat Nov 11 21:29:31 2006
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DukeB-120th

Developer/Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote
Mag;

One can certainly see that this man was a vibrant soul, and it is all too unfortunate for him to meet his fate as such... Sad

It also prompts me to ask a question that has been knawing at me for quite some time:
How can you make sure that you dont leave any loose ends for those you know on/offline when you meet your mortality?
Write it down, as Mag suggested?
Any other ideas?

FAF Beta Tester
MIL Forums Moderator
O-Club Forum Moderator
Flight Lobby Skin Developer
FAF & FA-2 Testers Forum Moderator
VNFAWING.com Duke's Desk Column
PostSat Nov 11 23:07:38 2006
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Thank you Duke,

It's something I thought about in the past. It sort of freaked me out when I heard about Firefoxx and remembered what I was thinking.

Earlier I too thought (years earlier) my god what if - heaven forbid - something happens to one of these guys. I can't say I was thinking about Foxxy specifically but I'm sure he was an example I thought of back then.

I was very fortunate with Mark that he felt enough about our friendship that his parents knew. If the roles were reversed, I do not think my parents would have really known his name. They know I have some close friends on-line but that would be about the extent of it. I'm certain my brother would have logged on to see if there was anyone to notify, but that would have been all I could have hoped for.

Makes me ashamed in a way that Firefoxx did and I did not.

PostSat Nov 11 23:22:26 2006
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CAG Hotshot

Admin, Site Owner, Developer, Webmaster

Dont be down on yourself Mag...

We can not read the future, at least, I cant...

This reminds me of one of my best online friends from the old VNFAWING Airwing days back in 1998 & 1999 as well...

VNFA_Tango was my XO. He is the reason I got into FA development. He lives in Argentina, and we were great friends. He introduced me to several other "Argie" buddies that joined the airwing...

I even RMA'd a motherboard for him in 2000 to HP for a system he bought while visiting the US back in 1999, plus sent him lots of books on the Falklands/Malvinas War...

But we lost contact over the years... He was a member of the ECV56th for awhile, but as of today I have no idea where he is or if he is even still alive...

But life goes on. It does until the day comes it does not. But what matters is the friends we meet along the way...

The VNFAWING "Argies"...

The "Argies" from left to right...

VNFA_? (I cant remember his name!), VNFA_Flanker, VNFA_Tango (real name Max), VNFA_Blind(real name Santiago)

CAG out...

FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by CAG Hotshot on Mon Dec 28 20:49:23 2009; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Nov 12 0:03:08 2006
Jackal

FAF Beta Tester

To Magnum: even if I think I can understand well your actual feeling, think only how was good for you both being friends as hare some fun and experiences too ... this is the real meaning of life, in short, or this is what I believe about anyway.
Don't be down, bud, and keep on in the same way you did when he was alive... there's no more or better to do, because life is not a show, but must go on the same.

And what CAG suggested to do in case of death (the later, the better of course) is wise, I think I'll do it soon.

FAF / FA-2 Beta Tester
--------------------------
Nassiryja. We won't forget!
"Nei secoli fedele"
("In the ages Faithful", Italian Arma dei Carabinieri's motto)
PostSun Nov 12 6:03:50 2006
Eagle114th

FAF Beta Tester

I am there for you as well, as these people are there for you... Your firend is inside of you as always, because of the long history you have with him, he is thankful for these precious time you had with him. '

I give your friend a salute and he will be in our thought.

<S>

Eagle out...

sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only
fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience.

Air Vice-Marshall J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

PostSun Nov 12 13:16:45 2006
RafaleC_77th

FAF Beta Tester

Post subject: My condolences Reply with quote
Its helluva loss at any rate. A man who had a vision that paralelled yours that turned into one vision, the VF. Remember the good times. Just the good times.

CO of the 77th

77th V-TFS
11th Year of Operations
http://www.77th-VTFS.net/
PostMon Nov 13 2:07:57 2006
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the sentiments.

PostMon Nov 13 17:37:00 2006
CAG Hotshot

Admin, Site Owner, Developer, Webmaster

Mag,

I made this post into a Sticky, so we will never forget your friend...

Everytime we come into this forum, this post will be at the top...

He will continue to live on in each and every one of us...

CAG out...

FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by CAG Hotshot on Mon Dec 28 20:50:16 2009; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Nov 13 19:10:34 2006
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Thank you CAG, I really appreciate that.

PostMon Nov 13 19:45:12 2006
Freak_77th

Nugget

Well I got some bad news to spread. Its late coming news too... Our dear friend, atleast one I knew from the community.
Firefoxx_VF is gone. God bless his memory. One more thing. I knew Fire well enough to know he'd be pissed at us for pausing even just alil bit. For the rest of this year. We Fly for him, we fly for his memory. Once again Magnum, my dear colleague of so many years. My heart felt condolences to your devastating loss. <S>

Counselor, if ya would please lead the squadron and for the VF with a prayer here.
-Brigadier General, RafaleC_77th
Commanding Officer
77th "Gamblers" V-TFS

< S > All

At this time I shall ask all of us to bow our heads for a moment od silence and prayer............Oh Jesus,,,We pray to you this evening to ask that you bless the family of one of our fallen comrades with in the FA Community, Firefox_VF. Let his family find strength and currage to over this time of trouble and also Jesus bless those individuals who knew him and let that memory of him strengthen us and guide us in our daily lives..We payer this in your mighty name..Amen ..Thank you Jesus !!

Thank you gentelman for this moment of silence and prayer...I know this time of sorrow is hard but as humans we find strength in ways to over come our pain or our trials in life..but in Christ Jesus he will love us no matter what the situation...God bess us all !!!

Also another note to be passed along ....Our fellow squadmate Yankee_77th is on his way to Florida..His Grandfather is not doing well and they fear the worst is yet to come , So please keep him with-in your prayers and pray that he has a safe trip and also that his Grandfather has a few more years to kick around on...< S >

P.S. A Side note..I still need to see some postings on the huge reunion that is coming up this next summer, I would like to see some ideas on what we can do besides the camping out and bonfire, Drinking , War stories...this could be a long event ( More than a couple of days ) It truely depends on the person and how long of a vacation they want to take.....So again please leave any thought you may have...and as always , I hope to see you all real soon in the clear blue skies..< S >
Captain Freak_77th
Squad Counsler
CO Naval / Marine Flites

This was what was posted on our Messegeboad Magnum_VF, I hope it will be up to your approval..and again our deepest condolences..< S >
And as always ,I hope to see you all in the clear blue skies real soon..< S > Cool

77th V-TFS Gamblers
PostThu Nov 23 5:40:17 2006
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ForsakenOutlaw

Developer

The name is very familiar but I can't stick my finger on it, well condolences to his family & those who knew him.

PostThu Nov 23 10:40:26 2006
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Thank you ForsakenOutlaw,

Freak_77th, RafaleC_77th. Thank you very much. I think Foxxy would have been very self-depreciating with it. At the same time he would have been pleased and brushed it all off with a grin and a toast.

Thank you very much. <S>

PostFri Nov 24 9:28:28 2006
Eaglesbrew

Assistant Forum Administrator

I am sorry for your loss Magnum_VF, but it sounds like your life is much better from your friendship with him. Do his memory the honor it deserves. This string is certainly a good step in that direction. As CAG says above, with the sticky mantle it now has, everyone who comes here will see it and read about him. Who could ask for more then to be remembered so fondly after they are gone?

make a right, but three lefts do!
PostThu Nov 30 20:30:59 2006
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Thank you Eagle,

It certainly was a better life having known him, it was very tough writing a letter to his parents.

On the VF site, the few that check it - we've exchanged a few memories of Foxxy - the time a chick came over to his place for a booty call while he was hosting a mission, the beer nut stories, all quite fond memories.

PostThu Nov 30 20:56:20 2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> The O-Club Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: