Return to VNFAWING.com Website Return to Main Forum Index PageReturn to VNFAWING.com Website
:: Forum Index :: Zephyrnet Forums :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Groups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Simple Solution for Naval Scenery Aircraft (Folded Wings)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> FAF Shape & Skin Texture Development Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are foldable wings on flyable (instead of just scenery) naval aircraft worth losing visible flaps?
No way! I want my flaps!
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Yes way! I want my folding wings!
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
I'm a loser, I dont care either way!
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

CAG Hotshot

Admin, Site Owner, Developer, Webmaster

Post subject: Simple Solution for Naval Scenery Aircraft (Folded Wings) Reply with quote
Ok, I have been wrestling with issues of creating folded wings for aircraft, such as F-18s, C-2s, E-2s and S-3s for use as scenery on aircraft carriers...

I have already created scenery aircraft in previous versions of FAF, but they were not very realeastic with all the wings sitting extended on deck, since this never happens on a real aircraft carrier...

Well it just hit me, out of the blue, how to easily do this. Since most of the polygons used on wings do not align easily for use to create a 'hinge' area to create the 90 degree (or more) wing fold segment, I can instead, much easier shorten the wing and delete the flap area (making it part of the fixed wing) and use the flap polygons for the folded wing sebments.

You see, since these are just scenery and will never fly, they dont need to have functional flaps since they will never use them, thus I can use the flap to create the folded wing instead!

So now all carriers will look much more realeastic with folded wings on all the aircraft parked on deck (except the flyable ones of course)...

THE POLL IS ONLY ABOUT FLYABLE AIRCRAFT!! All scenery naval aircraft that have folding wings in real life will have them now in FAF. I can make actual foldable wings for FLYABLE AIRCRAFT, but I will have to do away with the usable flaps, since the wing fold will replace the flap. So to do this will mean you will not have visible flaps, but you will be able to fold the wings once you land at an airbase or trap onboard a carrier... so... Is this something players might want? Foldable wings at the expense of realeastic movable flaps? Also if you try to use flaps during flight, the wings will fold instead and your aircraft will immediately crash. And this means that if you do want folding wings you will not have flaps for landing and will not ever be able to sue them...

I will add a poll to this string to see what response I get...

So please scroll up and enter you vote into the poll!
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by CAG Hotshot on Sun Nov 30 17:33:34 2008; edited 5 times in total
PostSun Nov 30 16:36:52 2008
Snake

Researcher/Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote
I voted "yes" for the folding wings. I think what's great about FA Futures is the many advances beyond the the old days of USNF, ATF, and FA. Seeing aircraft like the Hornets, Vikings, and Hawkeyes with their wings folded on the carrier would go along way for me in terms of enhancing the immersion of naval aviation.

That said, any chance we'll get to check out a shot of one of the modified aircraft soon? Thanks CAG - this is an awesome development.
PostSun Nov 30 16:50:48 2008
CAG Hotshot

Snake wrote:
I voted "yes" for the folding wings. I think what's great about FA Futures is the many advances beyond the the old days of USNF, ATF, and FA. Seeing aircraft like the Hornets, Vikings, and Hawkeyes with their wings folded on the carrier would go along way for me in terms of enhancing the immersion of naval aviation.

That said, any chance we'll get to check out a shot of one of the modified aircraft soon? Thanks CAG - this is an awesome development.

Yo uare misunderstanding snake (I was afraid this would happen, as I didnt do a good enough job conveying my meaning)...

I am asking about folding wings on flaybe naval aircraft... I am already implementing the folded wing look on the scenery naval aircraft, since they dont need movable flaps as they are not flayable...

What I need to know here is if you want flyable naval aircraft (that you are flying) to have foldable wings instead of usable flaps?

This would mean no flaps at all, at any time, since your wings would fold and your aircraft would crash, if you used them...

So are you SURE you want foldable wings on flyable naval aircraft? Cool
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostSun Nov 30 17:05:39 2008
Snake

Researcher/Moderator

Well, when you put it that way I suppose it might be a bit much to remove flaps from the flyable aircraft. I rescind my "yes" vote. And apologies for my misconception of the proposed change.
PostSun Nov 30 17:22:18 2008
CAG Hotshot

Snake wrote:
Well, when you put it that way I suppose it might be a bit much to remove flaps from the flyable aircraft. I rescind my "yes" vote. And apologies for my misconception of the proposed change.

You can re-vote my logging out and then voting, and then log in again...
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostSun Nov 30 17:28:49 2008
CAG Hotshot

I edited the message above (you can read it here as well) to reflect better that the poll is only for flyable aircraft to have functional folding wings instead of functional flaps...

Scenery naval (non flyable) aircraft will have folded wings no matter what... see below...

THE POLL IS ONLY ABOUT FLYABLE AIRCRAFT!! All scenery naval aircraft that have folding wings in real life will have them now in FAF. I can make actual foldable wings for FLYABLE AIRCRAFT, but I will have to do away with the usable flaps, since the wing fold will replace the flap. So to do this will mean you will not have visible flaps, but you will be able to fold the wings once you land at an airbase or trap onboard a carrier... so... Is this something players might want? Foldable wings at the expense of realeastic movable flaps? Also if you try to use flaps during flight, the wings will fold instead and your aircraft will immediately crash. And this means that if you do want folding wings you will not have flaps for landing and will not ever be able to sue them...

I will add a poll to this string to see what response I get...

So please scroll up and enter you vote into the poll!
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostSun Nov 30 17:35:01 2008
Viper-Pilot

Ensign

Nope I dont want to die because I tried to use flaps when I was trying to land or to keep from stalling out! Its a good try CAG, but impractical! But keep up the good work! Cool
PostSun Nov 30 17:48:45 2008
FA Pilot

Nugget

Well I think it would be cool to be able to fold your wings on the carrier! What a way to finish a mission, just like on the more modern sims! Is there any way to get the folding wings AND the flaps to work? Probably asking to much here, but I would really like to see both!
PostSun Nov 30 17:58:54 2008
Eaglesbrew

Assistant Forum Administrator

I don't think cag can do both. That is why he created the poll so we could choose between flaps and folding wings. I say flaps, and agree with Viper-Pilot that it would cause to many problems. Still it was a very good idea and will look great on the scenery birds cag! Very Happy
make a right, but three lefts do!
PostSun Nov 30 18:01:55 2008
kaptor

Developer/Moderator

Gotta vote no if for no other reason than the very limited times it would even be used, you just GOTTA have flaps for landing especially on a carrier.

"Oh the horror of the seven engine approach"

Missouri Flag

Half man, half machine, half timebomb.....
PostSun Nov 30 19:30:32 2008
CAG Hotshot

Thanks for the info and responses so far guys!

I have to agree with Kap. I voted against this mod as well. It isnt practical, but I had to ask incase you all throught it was a good idea! Razz

Great idea for scenery aircraft ondeck, bad idea for ingame flight...

I sure wish I could figure out how to add more animations to the shapes!

Oh well... Mad
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostSun Nov 30 20:48:44 2008
Zephyr

Developer

I say keep the flaps: the player will have them extended more than they will be sitting on deck.
PostSun Nov 30 22:15:55 2008
CAG Hotshot

Zephyr wrote:
I say keep the flaps: the player will have them extended more than they will be sitting on deck.

Thank you Zephyr. Your input is highly welcome! Very Happy

Definately looks like folding wings for flyable aircraft will have to wait until I can understand how to add more animations to the shape (if I ever do!)...

CAG out...
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostSun Nov 30 23:12:28 2008
DukeB-120th

Developer/Moderator

I pretty much have to second what Kap, Zephyr, et al have said about how much more important the usable flaps are. Plus, the knucklehead that I am, I would probably just hit F for flaps out of habit and fall right out of the sky.

Definite total coolness factor on the scenery aircraft. That would rock hard. Good job CAG.

FAF Beta Tester
MIL Forums Moderator
O-Club Forum Moderator
Flight Lobby Skin Developer
FAF & FA-2 Testers Forum Moderator
VNFAWING.com Duke's Desk Column
PostMon Dec 1 12:53:55 2008
FlatulentFox

Nugget

Yea, I want my WORKING flaps too!
By the way, loosing the IMAGE of the working flaps for the IMAGE
of the folded wings would be ok with me.
Meaning, pressing "F" would give you the "performance" of flaps.
but without its visuals. And pressing another button (?) would give you
the image of the plane with its wings folded.
Or maybe use "F" to get the folding wings, and use another button to
get the "performance" of flaps?

Just my Canadian 2-cents.
Smile

FlatulentFox
PostMon Dec 1 15:23:17 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> FAF Shape & Skin Texture Development Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: