Return to VNFAWING.com Website Return to Main Forum Index PageReturn to VNFAWING.com Website
:: Forum Index :: Zephyrnet Forums :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Groups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
OT: Very Political (But needs to be said) our Euro members..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote
To me anyway, France always sticks out as the fair weather ally. They've been known to sell weapons to countries our Allies have concerns with.

France loves to put down the US for acting in our national interests, yet at the same time doing the same themselves.
PostThu Aug 25 8:58:09 2005
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Eaglesbrew

Assistant Forum Administrator

France's problem is that we had to bail them out of 3 wars. WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. They can never forgive us for saving them so many times! Laughing
make a right, but three lefts do!
PostThu Aug 25 9:45:38 2005
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

lol

Had a friend who spent some time in France explain it this way. That they were unable to come to grips with their reduced status as a military power.

They also have a great sense of national pride - while putting us down for having our own.

If my history research is remembered correctly. Not long after WW2, France demanded the removal of all Allied troops from their soil. One statement I was unable to verify if it was said or not - was along the lines of asking the French if that included our fallen soldiers.
PostThu Aug 25 12:45:35 2005
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DukeB-120th

Developer/Moderator

Well said or unsaid, thats the god awful truth!

FAF Beta Tester
MIL Forums Moderator
O-Club Forum Moderator
Flight Lobby Skin Developer
FAF & FA-2 Testers Forum Moderator
VNFAWING.com Duke's Desk Column
PostThu Aug 25 20:09:58 2005
Eaglesbrew

Assistant Forum Administrator

Magnum_VF wrote:
lol

Had a friend who spent some time in France explain it this way. That they were unable to come to grips with their reduced status as a military power.

They also have a great sense of national pride - while putting us down for having our own.

If my history research is remembered correctly. Not long after WW2, France demanded the removal of all Allied troops from their soil. One statement I was unable to verify if it was said or not - was along the lines of asking the French if that included our fallen soldiers.

Yes they had national pride, unless it involved actually fighting. Their army spent 6 weeks in May to June 1940 doing not much more then surrendering whenever possible to the advancing Germans. I remember an interview of a surviving Geman Officer from WWII that said the French Army would fight only enough to allow them to surrender! National pride in being cowards Confused
make a right, but three lefts do!

Last edited by Eaglesbrew on Fri Aug 26 8:50:32 2005; edited 1 time in total
PostThu Aug 25 20:14:17 2005
Magnum_VF

Senior Moderator

amen to that
PostThu Aug 25 21:30:04 2005
Jackal

FAF Beta Tester

Well, viewed all those yours before from a closer point - just because Italy is at the southeastern French border Laughing - I can easily agree with the statement reported by Magnum.

I can't forget indeed (from history lessons, I'm not so old of course! Laughing ) what was happened to France after WWII, and especially when De Gaulle became its President - so can be easily explaneid the reasons of the Algerian riots, the French 'grandeur' myth and the deep sense of disappointment after the Indochinese withdrawal, the French interpretation (and consequently application) of the OTAN treaty duties, their contemporary foreign politics and so on...

But I have to confirm my previous message: France is in Europe, but it doesn't mean Europe at all - despite all its recent attempts to join Germany at this purpose, of course. A dangerous try, happily failed until now at least...

Besides, as Tank pointed out sharp, another main key of acquaintanceship the European modern relationships between Countries is trying to not forget that we have historical recent memories of tyranny, and you ever didn't instead...

You were lucky, but the same you felt the need - and the deep sense of the historical opportunity at the same time - to bring freedom and democracy back to all those people which lost them, but not by their fault, only because anyone asked their opinion about...

This is the lesson paid with many and many citizens' blood from each Country at the end of WWII, friends and foes suffered the same pain...

Thus the lesson for us Europeans to deliberate, I think...

FAF / FA-2 Beta Tester
--------------------------
Nassiryja. We won't forget!
"Nei secoli fedele"
("In the ages Faithful", Italian Arma dei Carabinieri's motto)
PostFri Aug 26 6:35:21 2005
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> The O-Club Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: