Return to VNFAWING.com Website Return to Main Forum Index PageReturn to VNFAWING.com Website
:: Forum Index :: Zephyrnet Forums :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Groups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Just a bit of info to let you guys know how much work I have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> FAF Shape & Skin Texture Development Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAG Hotshot

Admin, Site Owner, Developer, Webmaster

Post subject: Just a bit of info to let you guys know how much work I have Reply with quote
I just wanted to drop this small note to let you guys and gals know just how much work I have to do to implement movable turrets on combat vehicles in FAF Korea...

Well, as you may or may not know, FA has a code limitation that prevents vehicles from having moving turrets unless each segment of the shape has that turret in a diffferent position so it can call upon that segment of the shape to display itself in the proper position to display the new turret direction...

This is similiar to how the SA-3 missile looks like it actually launches from the rails of teh SAM launcher, when in reality the shape simply has a segment with that missile on the rail and a segment of the shape without the missile on the rail and displays which ever one meets the display requirements...

So far as I can tell only the Sovremenny has this capability of moving turrets. I think the Krivak was also supposed to have this function with its rear turrets but it had to give them up to have the movable radar dish...

So making tanks have this function I had to go about it in a completely different way...

Essentially I divided the shape in half, deleting the hull from one copy of the shape and deleteing the turret from the other, then putting them back together as a compound shape in the game, with the hull locked into position facing north so it would not turn with the turret when the vehicle changed direction... This makes the turret look like its traversing instead of the vehicle moving...

This is also the reason why the vehicle should not be used in anything but a North/South movement, because the hull will not turn from this direction so the tank will not look realeastic when it moves...

Thus in FAF I have made fully movable vehicles(like for convoys or in groups to attack) in the same way as FA did, with the turret and hull as part of the same shape, and with the gun locked into position and not traversing, while static vehicles, like AAA, SAM and some tanks that sit stationary have their turret turns to engage the enemy...

They can move north or south but no other direction...

Now here is where it REALLY gets to be a pain in the rump (as if all the other work I have done to date hasnt been! lol ). You see, to simulate the North Korean, Chinese, and Russian tanks I have had to reverse the hull direction or it would always be pointed north and the tanks would look like they were reversing into action!

Not to realeastic there to say the least...

So for every enemy tank, APC, or other vehicle that has to face south to invade South Korea or defend North Korea, I have had to rebult the hull shapes to reverse their direction, so the front looks like the rear and the rear like the front, so they look like they are driving south when the shape of the hull is actually locked into the northerly directly to allow the turret to traverse...

So that means alot ALOT of work on many vehicles, to get the right effects. So far I have only finished the T-72, T-80, and T-90 so obviously if its going to have a rotating turret (like all the BMP vehciles) and be an enemy vehicle, its going to take a bit of work to complete...

So when I get email asking me when things are going to be done and those messages have little remarks like, its been so long that they have forgotten how to the fly the sim, I always ask the same thing...

Are you willing to stop complaining and help me with the work load instead and I always get back the same answer... That being silence...

So how about you guys and gals out there that want to fly FAF just relax a bit longer, climb down from off my back, and realize I have done a tremendous amount of work here and still have a lare amount left to do, but I will get it done and hopefully soon...

Thanks!

CAG out...
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostSun Nov 28 4:04:30 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> FAF Shape & Skin Texture Development Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: